How to Use Garmin GPS for the First Time in 5 Easy Steps?
Have you heard of Garmin GPS and what it can do help you find the right direction? The GPS or Global Positioning System is a satellite-based navigation program composed of at least 24 satellites. The app functions in any type of weather, in any part of the world and for 24 hours a day, without the need of paying the subscription dues or installation charges. Originally, the US Dept. of Defense made the satellites available for military use only. But in 1980 the civilians were given the green light to use the system.
You can see a Garmin GPS device in most automobiles. The device provides emergency roadside assistance by just pressing a button. A more sophisticated system is also available to show your position on the street map. At present, the Garmin GPS helps the driver track his exact location and suggest the best pathway to follow to reach his destination.
The first thing you need to do is to determine which Garmin GPS is the best. You can check out the Best Garmin Nuvi Buying Guide to help you choose. If this is your first time to use the GPS particularly the Garmin Nuvi, this guide is for you.
Image Source: http://itstillworks.com/install-garmin-nuvi-5900445.html
What You Need:
- Garmin Nuvi GPS Device
- Lint-free rag
- Garmin Nuvi Manual
Step by Step Method on How to Use the Garmin GPS for the First Time
For the first time users, this guide will help you in installing and using the device without any issues. Here are the 4 easy steps on using Garmin Nuvi:
Step #1 – Installing the Nuvi
- Clean the automobile’s windshield thoroughly using a lint-free cloth. Remove the clear plastic covering the suction cup
- Attached the suction cup on the cleaned windshield
- In the power connector found on the right side of the cradle, plug the car power cable
- The suction cup arm will hold the cradle
- Return the lever back on the windshield
- Attached the bottom of the Garmin Nuvi into the cradle
- Slant the Nuvi back until it snaps into position
- Check the device if it is working. Plug one end of the power cable into the power source outlet in your car. It should turn on automatically once plugged and your vehicle is running.
- Included in the package is a traffic receiver. If you are in Europe and you are using the traffic receiver place the antenna on it to the windshield via the suction cups.
Step#2 Configure the Garmin Device
- Slide the key to the left to turn on your GPS
- Follow the instructions that will appear on the screen
Step #3 Get Satellite Signals
- Drive your vehicle in an open area far from tall structures and out of your garage
- Once you are at the area stop and turn on the GPS tool
- It may take few minutes to get satellite signals
- If you see one bar is green, the device has obtained the satellite signals. You can now choose a destination and navigate to it
Step #4 Explore and Use the Nuvi
The screen will display important information:
- GPS satellite strength which is found on the upper left part of the screen
- Bluetooth status which you can activate to share/send data to other devices
- Battery status informs you when to charge the Nuvi
- The time
- Touch the where to? Icon to find a destination
- Click the map to view it
- Click the phone icon to make a call when connected to a compatible mobile phone
- Touch the speaker icon to increase the volume
- Touch the tool icon to use media players, help and settings
Step # 5 Registering and Setting the Device
1. Register Your Garmin
Use the myDashboard and Garmin Express in registering the device. You can download updated maps and software and make your own vehicle logo as well as navigation voices. The Nuvi2597 LMT and Nuvi52LM use Garmin Express, while the Nuvi 50 LM uses myDashboard. To register connect the small end of the USB cable included in the package at the back of your Garmin and plug the other end into your computer. Then start to navigate to register your device.
2. Save Locations
Tap the “where to?” and “Go Home” icon that looks like three horizontal lines and “Set Home Location.” You can type a location, use your present location or choose a newly found location. Save it to your home location.
If you want to add other locations that you always visit, search for the location using categories, by browsing the map or by address and then choose the location from the option given. Tap save and ok if you are using the Nuvi50LM and 52LM. For Nuvi 2597LMT, tap the menu icon, information icon and save. For other models of Nuvi, you can just save your present location by tapping vehicle icon and save location.
3. Setting Navigation Preferences
You can modify your routes as calculated if you tap on the Nuvi 2597LMT the settings, directions, and calculation mode or the settings, directions, and route preference if you have Nuvi 52LM and Nuvi 50LM. Tap faster time to save the driving time, off road for straight-line routes and to save miles tap the shorter distance on your automobile. With the help of the device, you can avoid the U-Turns, interstates, ferries, highways and toll roads by tapping the settings, navigation, and avoidances.
Hope this guide was able to help you install and use your Garmin Nuvi device without having any issue. To help you find the right device, you can read the Best Garmin Nuvi Guide 2016: https://itmycar.com/best-garmin-nuvi-buying-guide-2016/. It is important that you choose the one that will meet all your needs. If you find this how to use Garmin GPS for the first time user post helpful to you, you can leave a comment below or share this with others.