How Much to Replace Spark Plugs? Replacement Service and Cost
Are you having problems when you turn on your car’s ignition key? It could be due to faulty spark plugs. The plugs are the vital part of the ignition system. Each time you turn your car key, the ignition coil generates the spark. This will ignite the air-fuel mixture in the engine cylinders that will activate the engine.
Over time, your car’s spark plugs wear out and need replacement. The number of the cylinders and spark plugs in your car are the same. If one of the plugs failed, the car would not function at its best. This article will give you an idea when to replace and how much does it cost you to replace spark plugs.
When to Replace the Spark Plugs?
As compared to other parts of the car used to start the engine, the spark plugs are most likely to need replacements. You can replace the plugs every few years. But there are some instances that you don’t have to wait for it to wear down before replacing it. Here are some signs that your plugs need the replacement right away.
Spark plugs have no moving parts, but they are subjected to extremely high temperature, carbon, high pressure, and gasoline. Under the normal driving condition, you can replace the plugs after 100,000 miles of use. But if you are driving under the harsh condition it could be shortened.
Replacement Service and Cost
The cost of the spark plugs replacement may range between $186 and $253. The labor cost could be around $114 and $145. While the spark plug itself may cost between $72 and $108. This estimation does not include taxes and fees.
If you want to save some money on your spark plugs replacement, you can do the replacement on your own. Replacing the plugs is simple and straightforward. One can learn it fast since it does not require expensive tools. However, you need to be very careful when buying the spark plugs and when putting everything back when you are done.
If you make even a small mistake, your car may run poorly or it might not start at all. If you want to do it on your own, you should watch an experienced person do it. Make sure that you learn everything you need to know about replacing your spark plugs. You don’t want to cause serious damage on your car just to save a few dollars.
If you really want to save on the replacement cost but you prefer an expert mechanic to do it for you, you can bring your own plugs. Keep in mind when buying a spark plug make sure that you purchase the new one since it wears out really fast. Buying used or cheap spark plugs to save a few dollars is not a good idea.
How to Replace Spark Plugs?
If you have a V-6 model vehicle you should let the expert replace the spark plugs. The process may require removal of all the portions of the intake manifold. But for those with less complicated car model, you can do it on your own just follow the simple steps in replacing a spark plug.
- Clean the entire area where the plugs are located. The majority of the engine misfires or problems could be because some connectors are not reacting with one another because of dirtiness. This can be resolved by cleaning the area.
- Remove the ignition coil and boot
- Remove the old spark plugs, measure the gap and insert the new ones using the ratchet. Tighten the plugs but make sure not to over-tighten it since you might strip the thread on the head of the engine and be repairing this might cost you a lot. Make sure that you replace the spark plug cables on the same plugs they came from.
- Before reinstalling the boot, apply some dielectric grease around the inside of the plug boot. This will prevent misfires, and it makes boot removal much easier in the future. Then return the ignition coil.
If you do the replacement on your own, you will be able to save a lot of money. But for those who have less knowledge and less experienced on doing the task, we suggest that you do the replacement with the supervision of the expert.
Therefore, the answer to how much to replace spark plugs will depend on the following factors:
- Type of vehicle
- Type of problems the spark plugs is having
- The cost of labor if you let the professional mechanic do it for you
- The price of spark plugs and how many you need
If you do the replacement on your own, you can save a lot from the service cost. Never attempt to replace the spark plugs by yourself if you are not sure. Even a small mistake can cause your vehicle to run badly, or it might not start at all. If you find this post helpful, feel free to share this with others.
* Remember, when you lease a car with a company like Compass Vehicle Leasing all service and maintenance costs are included in your monthly payment. It's one of the huge benefits to car leasing and you'll be able to renew your car every few years.