What You Need to Know Before Buying the Best Headliner Adhesive? (Aug. 2017)
Are you experiencing a sagging headliner in your car? Does it bother you while driving your car? You don’t have to worry about it, just fix it using the best headliner adhesive. The headliner is basically a term used to collectively refer to the layers that cover the ceiling of your car.
Headliners consist of multilayered composite materials which are responsible for several functions, including your preferred look, stiffness, sound reduction and the feel you want in your vehicle.
Can you imagine how uncomfortable being inside the car would feel on a sunny day if didn’t have a headliner? The laws of heat transfer would take their toll on you and being in the car would be next to impossible.
Why do You Need a Headliner Adhesive?
In order to keep enjoying the services provided by the headliners in our vehicles, we must take good care of them Sometimes they may get old and start coming off the roof hence losing the aesthetic presentation. It is in such cases when the headliner adhesive will come in handy.
When your headliner starts sagging, you may be required to replace the whole thing or just apply the adhesive in order for it to stick onto your vehicle’s ceiling as it supposed to be. Adhesives usually bond things together. They are usually made from either synthetic or natural materials.
You should always not just put any adhesive material on your car since some adhesives might end up ruining the form of your headliner. Usually, there are adhesives which are specially made for headliners.
A headliner adhesive usually helps you in carrying out the repair for your vehicle’s headliner whenever you feel that it fails you. They usually come in spray form for easy usage. When you get the perfect headliner adhesive, you will always get your vehicle’s headliner properly attached rather than having the whole thing being replaced.
What are The Things to Look for While Buying Best Headliner Adhesive?
There are varieties of headliner adhesives on the market. To buy one, there are some things that you have to consider. Not all adhesives are good for your headliner. Some can end up messing with the form of your headliner.
Some adhesives are also made of materials which are not the best. This is the reason why you should always be careful when choosing the right headliner adhesive. Here are some things to consider.
When you look at the adhesive spray can closely while purchasing it, you will see a long list of features numbered next to the label. However long this list might be, there are only three features that you should always consider.
- Temperature resistance: This is important because the inside of your car may be hot or cold. A standard rubber-based adhesive might not be appropriate since it might easily melt in high temperatures. This may cause the headliner to fall off. An ideal headliner adhesive should be the one that resists the temperature changes once you have used it.
- Permanent hold: This feature is important since a good headliner adhesive must be a permanent one. This will ensure that you don’t keep on gluing your headliner.
- Compatibility with fabric and vinyl and fabric: An excellent adhesive should be the one that is compatible with vinyl and fabric since these are the commonly used headliner materials.
If the headliner you want to buy meets all the three features, then that’s the best one.
Basically, there are two types of headliner adhesives. They are liquid or aerosol. Both types are compatible with fabric. Therefore, there is no need to worry. The liquid headliner adhesive can always be sprayed using the paint gun. It provides a strong hold that is good for your headliner.
On the other hand, aerosol headliner adhesive comes when in handy aerosol cans. The cans are modified in a way that you can just remove the cap off and start spraying it out. Once it has stuck properly, it cannot be affected by the temperature changes. It gives an assurance of not melting even at temperatures of as high as 200 degrees.
The spray can of an aerosol headliner adhesive is designed in a way that it allows you to coat the entire headliner evenly. This is the type that is easy to apply compared to the solid one. So you should always go for the aerosol headliner adhesive if you don’t have the paint gun.
Simple Steps on How to Repair Your Headliner Using The Headliner Adhesive
The overall interior look of your car can be improved by maintaining the headliner to be great-looking. A sagging headliner can be embarrassing. A damaged headliner is an eyesore due to the fabric material.
It can also be a safety hazard if in case a heavy material part falls off. It is therefore important to do a repair as soon as possible. Here are some steps to follow when repairing your sagging headliner.
Clear the headliner by removing all the things that are attached to it. Take off the screws and detach the headliner from the clips. You can do this better with a flat head screwdriver to slowly pry off the trim.
Remove the dome light then pull off the headliner to remove it from the roof. Place the headliner on a flat surface then peel off all the torn headliner fabric.
Clean the headliner board using a sponge. This is to wipe off all the loose particles from the headliner surface to ensure maximum sticking of the adhesive to it. Ensure you wear appropriate gloves in your hands then start spraying.
Ensure you apply the adhesive on the headliner but not the fabric. Spray evenly to make sure that you create a layer to glue all the loose parts in place.
Stretch the fabric back over the headliner then tightly pull off the edges to do out with the wrinkles. Apply pressure on the area to ensure that the fabric is even and smooth. Give the adhesive time to dry for about one hour then install the headliner back.
Ensure you reattach all the things that you removed.
The Best Three Headliner Adhesive Reviews on The Market 2017
We all love to have quality products that will serve us best. After doing a thorough research, we have come up with the best three headliner adhesives which will serve you well if you acquire one. These products have the features one should look for at affordable prices.
1. 3M 38808 Headliner and fabric adhesive
3M Headliner and fabric Adhesive is a good product which has the capability of securely bonding heavy weight automotive metals to the metal surfaces. It creates a strong hold for bonding headlines, foam, carpet and other materials.
Since it is an aerosol spray, applying it is easy and quick. The bonding resists deterioration due to moisture effects, cold, heat and other environmental effects. The aerosol can ensure the adhesive is dispensed consistently to create an even coat of the adhesive hence reducing the chances of saturation.
Its adjustable nozzle also ensures that the adhesive application is direct. It dries within thirty to sixty minutes depending on the conditions of the environment. This gives an ample time for its perfect application. This headliner adhesive will never let you down.
- It dries in thirty to sixty minutes
- It has an exceptional strength which bonds heavyweight automotive materials
- Good for carpets, headliners, and other fabrics in vehicles
- Made using a versatile formula
- Has a reasonable drying time of thirty to sixty minutes which is better for the application
- Its exceptional strength ensures a strong bond to heavyweight automotive materials
- This the recommended adhesive for carpets, headliners, and other fabrics in vehicles
- The versatile formula ensures effective bonds with foam, fabrics and metals to vehicles
- Has adjustable nozzle which ensures that the application of the adhesive is direct
- The aerosol can ensure that the adhesive is dispensed consistently to create an even coat of the adhesive hence reducing the chances of saturation
- Repositioning of the scrunched up fabric may be difficult once applied. It needs a lot of care
2. Permatex 27828 Body Shop Headliner
Permatex body shops heavy duty headliner adhesive is a very effective product worth buying. It is designed specifically for repairing the interior parts of vehicles which have become loosened or detached. It is made to bond foam, plastics, rubbers, fabrics and other automotive materials.
The aerosol can ensure the adhesive is dispensed consistently to create an even coat of the adhesive hence reducing the chances of saturation. This adhesive is designed to resist high temperatures and can go up to a temperature of 77 degrees Celsius without melting.
It is also water resistant and can resist extreme conditions of weather. The adhesive dries faster when applied. If you have been looking for the best headliner adhesive then please try this one out.
- Has multiple application areas
- Designed in a way that it is applied in spray form
- The adhesive is water resistant
- Resistant to high temperatures
- Designed in a way that it is applied in spray form. This ensures easy application and ensures the adhesive is dispensed consistently to create an even coat of the adhesive to reduce the chances of saturation.
- The adhesive is water resistant
- This adhesive is designed to resist high temperatures and can go up to a temperature of 77 degrees Celsius without melting
- The adhesive dries faster when applied hence application is faster
- Resistant to extreme weather conditions hence it is reliable
- Cannot withstand temperatures of 80 degrees and above
- The spray pattern may be odd making the process difficult
3. 3M Super 77 Multi-purpose Adhesive
For those car owners who have been looking high quality acid free adhesives, this is one of them. Scotch Glues and mount adhesives are acid-free and professional grade. The product gives a clear adhesive and is easy to use.
Its spray design forms responsible, excellent layouts. The nozzle is repositionable to ensure easy work during the application process. What’s more, this adhesive is resistant to high temperatures and bonds very fast. If you are worried about water resistance, this is the ideal adhesive to look out for.
The spray is extremely versatile, fast drying and bonds a wide range of materials. It has a fast, aggressive tack and low soak which enables it to be used in a wide range of projects. It can be used in bonding cardboards, cushion foams, plastic, metal and fabrics.
- Forms strong, durable bonds
- Bonds to fabric, cardboard, plastic, wood and metal
- Bonds quickly
- Is water resistant
- It is resistant to high temperatures
- Gives strong and durable bonds
- Bonds quickly
- It is water resistant hence the bond lasts longer
- It is resistant to high temperatures hence cannot easily melt
- The customers complained of the bond detaching after a short duration of application
The Final Words
It is very true that sometimes buying the perfect headliner can be a headache, especially due to the fact that there are so many brands on the market. With that in mind, this article has made it very easy to buy an ideal headliner adhesive. The information contained in this article will come in handy when making your purchase.
While all the products reviewed above are great products, the 3M 38808 Headliner and fabric adhesive is the perfect headliner adhesive that we highly recommend you should buy. This is because it has the best features. It dries very fast; it is made using a versatile formula and has an exceptional strength among other great features.
If you think that the 3M 38808 Headliner and fabric adhesive should not be the most recommended product, then tell us about your choice in the comments section below.